Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Fabric and Artist Canvas Wall Art


This summer, I unearthed these painted artist canvas'es at the local thrift store.    Not surprisingly, they were on a bottom shelf under a ton of other stuff - and had resided in that spot for awhile.    I rescued them to the tune of 50 cents a piece!   

Thankfully it was in the middle of summer in the wrestler's arm pit weather we have here, so I sprayed them down with some disinfectant, gave them a little sun bath and then they sat.   

I've fallen in adoration with batik fabrics!    I love the designs and color mixtures but I seem to be doing more 'accumulating' than producing with them.   No project seems good enough to use up  my beloved batiks!   But what better way to enjoy them (aside from fondling them on the shelf every time I go by...) than to hang them on the wall!    I found my two "favorite" (it was really hard to narrow down) patterns and got busy.   This very simple project for both canvasses took about 30 minutes and it ended up being that long because I had to figure out the safety latch for the iron!

First, choose your fabric.    I used fat quarters because they were the perfect size for each canvas.  Here's one when I finally remembered to take pictures:


Ironing really is a must for this project because fat quarters are terribly creased and those wrinkles WILL show badly.



Next, line up on your canvas and break out the trusty staple gun.   I used a gift wrapping crease at the corners so the fabric would fold under and not bunch out at the edges.  


Continue stapling along the edge just enough to tack it down - this is going to hang on the wall so I kept staples to a minimum in case I ever want to pull them out and change the fabric.


And, you're done!



Repeat process for canvas #2 and head to your favorite wall!




Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Need to contact me?